In the framework of WP9 of Pilot Implementation and Demonstration Activities, a set of pilot actions demonstrated and validated the potential of policies and schemes to stimulate the development of new quality markets and local food chains and improve the nutritional benefits of public sector food procurement, evaluating their likely sustainability.
The learning generated from these pilot actions has been collected in a set of Policy and Practice notes, containing recommendations for practitioners and policy makers, to be used for future implementation and up-scaling.
Seven Policy and Practice notes are available:
- How to improve the nutritional qualities of school meals? Recommendations from the pilot action conducted in Serbia to improve the nutritional qualities of school meals with food procurement and associated benefits.
- How to stimulate local food sales in supermarkets via in-store priming? Recommendations from the pilot action conducted in Croatia, Slovenia, and Serbia, aimed at investigating the effectiveness of in-store primes to increase local food sales in supermarkets.
- How to improve sales of food quality schemes? Recommendations from the pilot action conducted in Poland to support the growth of the market of FQS products in the Country.
- How to stimulate short food supply chains for locally landed seafood? Recommendations from the pilot action conducted in North-East England to strengthen the development of new quality markets and short food supply chains (SFSCs) for locally landed seafood.
- How to stimulate producer co-operation and regional food labelling? Recommendations from the pilot actions conducted in Serbia and Hungary to find ways in which fresh, healthy, and quality food products can become accessible to local, regional, and international markets via farmers’ co-operation and regional branding, thus increasing opportunities and returns to local farmers.
- How to stimulate the development of short food supply chains and farmers’ markets through digital platforms? Recommendations from the pilot action conducted in Italy to explore the effectiveness of the mobile application “Campagna Amica”.
- The Fal Oyster PDO. Lessons Learnt from the case study conducted in England to protect and promote the Fal Oyster fishery.